Region 5 (Bicol Region) : (Filipino: Kabikulan; Spanish: Bicolandia)
Located in the southernmost tip of Luzon Island, the largest island in the Philippines.
Camarines Sur Islands Philippines
Camarines Sur Landmarks
Brgy. Sta. Maria, Lagonoy, Camarines Sur
The belfry of the first stone church which serves as the living memory of the past became an added tourist attraction of the municipality. It is approximately 300 meters from the Lagonoy Poblacion and can be reached thru walking or riding motor vehicles or padyaks. Presently the area is categorized as open and grassland area, but half a portion is utilized for agricultural purposes. It has an area of more or less one (1) hectare and privately owned by Ontengco's family.
Brgy. San Francisco, Iriga City, Camarines Sur
Presently, this is the site of Bicol's magnificent Emerald Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes. In olden times, the hill was once the habitat of the Asuang (witch), the reason why the hill is referred to as the "orno" or "oven". As the result of the angelization of the area the hill became the site for staging "Pagtanggal", the Iriga folk version of the re-enactment of the Passion of Christ, hence, the name "Calvario Hill". The first "ermita" or mission chapel of Iriga during Spanish times was erected here as evidenced by religious artifacts unearthened in the site. Opposite the Ermita the Casino Espanol was erected, a favorite converging are for Spanish rulers. When the Americans came at the turn of the century, this was converted into a base for its cavalry forces. During the Japanese occupation, a Japanese garrison was established on the hilltop, utilized as watchtower against guerillas. Many Filipinos met martyrdom in this area.
Brgy. Perpetual Help, Iriga City, Camarines Sur
Situated along the tourist route, about 7 kilometers from the city proper, this place was a Spanish garrison camp during the Spanish Period. Many Filipino insurrections were kept here at and did hard labor; hence, the name "Kinuwertelan" meaning place of Incarceration. No trace of the prison barracks can be seen today.
Ateneo de Naga University
Ateneo Ave., Naga City, Camarines Sur
The only Jesuit school in the region founded in 1940 was called the Fort Santiago of Bicol during World War II. The Japanese used its building as a concentration camp and torture chamber.
Universidad de Santa Isabel
Elias Angeles St., Naga City, Camarines Sur
Founded in 1868, this was the first the Normal School for women in the Far East. It was also the seat of the first Bicolano government in area after the Spanish war. Before it was conferred a university status, its name was then known as the Colegio de Sta. Isabel.
Holy Rosary Minor Seminary
Naga Cathedral Grounds,Naga City, Camarines Sur
Situated beside the Naga Metropolitan Cathedral, it was founded in 1793 and became the second school in the Philippines. This was the seminary where Bicolano hero Jose Maria Panganiban and Bishop Jorge Barlin studied. A museum is located inside the seminary. It is called the Museo del Seminario Conciliar de Nueva Caceres.
Southern Philippine Cuisine
In Mindanao, the southern part of Palawan island, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi, dishes are richly flavored with the spices common to Southeast Asia: turmeric, coriander, lemon grass, cumin, and chillies — ingredients not commonly used in the rest of Filipino cooking. Being free from Hispanicization, the cuisine of the indigenous Moro and Lumad peoples of Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago has much in common with the rich and spicy Malay cuisines of Malaysia and Brunei, as well as Indonesian and Thai cuisines.
More details at Southern Philippine Cuisine
While we strive to present information as
accurately as possible,
We are not responsible for any mistakes in information materials, written or any other kind.
All Rights Reserved. Region 5 (Bicol Region) - Islands Philippines © Copyright -
Maintained by; DotNet Business Online Inc.